Lucknow is a ‘Heritage City’ dating thousands of years back. A cultural potboiler of food, music, art, and handicraft, the city has lot to offer. Lucknow may be known for its nawabi culture and delectable cuisines, but has lot more in its kitty. Here we tell you 12 surprising facts about Lucknow that you probably didn’t know.
1. Lucknow Railway Station is the place where Mahatma Gandhi met Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru for the very first time in December 1916.
2. Lucknow’s Bada Imambada is the largest hall in Asia, and is stands without any external support from wood, iron or stone beams.
3. Lucknow Railway Station consists of two stations – Lucknow Charbagh Station and Lucknow Junction. While Lucknow Charbagh Station comes under ‘Northern Railways’ the Lucknow Junction comes under ‘North Eastern Railways’.
4. Gomti Chakra, a rare natural shell is found in Gomti River. Used to make jewelry in ancient times, it is believed to bring good luck, wealth, health and success.
5. Lucknow is ranked ‘India’s second happiest city’ in a survey conducted by IMRB International and LG Corporation, after only Chandigarh. Also, it is the first city of India, having more than 9000 security cameras.
6. Bada Mangal, a festivity of Lord Hanuman is celebrated only in Lucknow. It was started for the only purpose of giving food to the poor.
7. Rumi Darwaza is also known as Turkish Gate. It got this name because it was built by architectures of Rome.
8. Janeshwar Mishra Park is claimed to be Asia’ s Largest park.
9. There are no electrical wires in Hazratganj, all electrical wires are underground.
10. Over time the city’s name changed from Lakshampuri to Laksmnaut to Laksnaut to Laksnau to Laknau and finally Lucknow.
11. Lucknow Race Course is the longest race course in India with a 3.5 km track length
12. City Montessori School, Lucknow is the largest school in terms of pupil in the world.
13. Lucknow and Kanpur were the two cities between which the first STD call of the country was made.
14. Gomti River is only river not originating from any hill but flows through out the year.
Pic Credit: Avijit Patra
15. Kukrail garden Asia largest crocodile and alligator reservoir.
Do you know more interesting facts about Lucknow! Let us know in the comments below.
Liked What you read?
If so, let us bring the most amazing updates about Lucknow straight in your inbox.
Nawab Sahab! Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.